Monday, April 29, 2013

Waiting, waiting and deciding when to intervene- argument & evidence


(Argument and Evidence)
Waiting, Waiting, and Deciding When to Inrtervene discussed the racial inequality middle class black families face. The main pont I think Annette Lareau is trying  to make is that wealth is not the only factor when we discuss inequality, although it is very important. In my understanding she also argues that social class plays an important role in child rearing. Lereau begins by discussing the entitlement middle class families feel when it comes to voicing their opinions. This hit home to me and I paid special attention to this because I myself am a working class mother and when confronted with something I do not agree with that is happening at my daughter's school, I never make it a point to go as far as Mr. and Mrs. Kaplan did when they disagreed with the song their children were going to sing with the school choir. This story in particular took me back to a particular incident in my daughters school that I did not agree with. When I voiced my concern to her teacher, I was "blown-off" so to speak therefor I was intimidated and felt as though if she didnt take me seriously then no one would so I didnt perdue the issue any further. I bring this up because although I am not an african american woman, I am still a minority as well as a working class mother without the resourses that middle class families have. "Social class seemed to make a differece in how parents, primarily mothers, managed children's compliants about institutions." Lereau goes on to explain how mother intervene when their children are not given what they have asked for, for example in the case of Stacey whom was not accepted into the gifted program because she was two points under the cutoff score. Mrs. Marshall went above and beyond paying $200 to have the results privetly done then spoke to the administrator and was able to get her daughter into the gifted program. Working class families do not have the time or resources to go to such great extent to get their children what they want, even though they might deserve it and be just as intellingent as the middle class child. 

http://youtu.be/iKZxmGFo118

I found this video helpful in understanding the reading... 

No comments:

Post a Comment